Friday, April 4, 2008

I am in TRAINING!!!

Yes, for the past week, I have been training for a mini triathlon. You did read correctly. I......am training.....for a MINI TRIATHLON. You know, it doesn't seem like a big accomplishment when they put the word 'mini' in front of it!!! I am here to tell you, it absolutely is no 'mini accomplishment. The competition is in July. Brian and I are planning to race together, as well as my sister and her husband. I am so excited. I have spending most of my time on the bike, well the stationary ones they use in spin classes because I don't actually have a bike of my own. This does pose a problem seeing as how we have to ride one for nine miles in the race!!! Oh well, hopefully I will fix that soon. I also have been improving my time on the 5k. What's funny is that when I started, I couldn't even run a 2k!!! So, biking and running are going well, but swimming......oh, swimming!!!!!!! I don't know if there are many swimmers out there, but WOW! Today, I swam for the first time since I started training. I didn't even get a fourth of a lap swam with the correct form! My arms were doing alright, but my legs were doing whatever they could to get me there!!! I think this is going to be the killer!!! Of course, I didn't have any goggles on and I am sure that would have helped a little bit. I did end up being able to swim the entire 400 meters though. YEA!!! It may not be pretty, but I am at least going to try my hardest!!! Huh, 'mini' nothing. From now on, I will call it the 'special' triathlon........No, that won't work either......I will keep thinking on the new name!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing that you guys find time in your busy life to squeeze another event into your calender. I wish you the best in your training .

dad

Leslie said...

Wow! Good for you guys! I wish I had that kind of motivation. Good luck with your training!

Kristi said...

I admire you. You sound like you are going to be dedicated enough!

Anonymous said...

How 'bout the modified triatholon?

Lizzy, don't forget to load up on the carbs and protien!! Protect those muscles, girlie!
Love you!

Chad said...

That is awesome. Congratulations.

Tricia said...

Dear Liz (and Brian),
Ok, since you went for your first swim without googles, I will assume you have no one there guiding you on preparing for this event. Let me give you a few pointers that will go a long way...

1. Invest in a good pair of goggles (Speedo!)
2. And a swim cap & learn how to put the swim cap on before your race. AND SWIM SWIM SWIM! It's one of the hardest parts of the race.
3. Most likely, you're not going to be able to change from your bathing suit the whole race, so find a bathing suit that is "supportive" and then you can just slip shorts over for the bike & run.
4. If you haven't been on a road bike, you may want to opt for something with bigger tires (hybrid or a mountain bike). During my first race, I couldn't let go of my handlebars on a road bike to grab my water, I would have crashed, it was terrible.
5. Eat something (Carbs) during your bike, your body will need it for the run.

At the race....
1. Bring a tupperware (big enough for your foot to fit in), fill it up with water so you can clean your feet off before you put your running shoes on (they usually will provide water at the race)

Good luck & E-mail me if have any questions! You're going to have so much fun!!!
Tricia (Leslie's friend)
tricia_spillman@csx.com

Leah said...

YOU GO GIRL!! How do you find the time??? I am wanting to try to do a half-marathon but I can't seem to stay with the training...